A poultry keeper’s cottage at Akron’s Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens could be added to the prestigious National Register of Historic Places.
The nomination of the Tudor-style house at 1103 Courtleigh Drive will be reviewed today by the Ohio Historic Site Preservation Advisory Board.
It is one of nine nominations to be reviewed by the state panel.
The cottage was built in 1917 as part of the Stan Hywet complex developed by Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. co-founder F.A. Seiberling. It was designed by architect Charles Schneider and was connected to a chicken run.
The chicken run was demolished in 1955 when the cottage and adjacent land were sold to developer Charles DeWitt, who planned to raze the so-called Poultry Cottage. His wife, Grace, persuaded him to save it.
In 1957, F. Eugene Smith, an industrial designer, and his wife, Ramona, a graphic artist, bought the Poultry Cottage and converted it into their home.
The cottage is proposed for nomination as an example of early 20th century Tudor Revival-style architecture and for its history of association with the Seiberling estate, now Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens.
It is 1,000 feet from the 65-room manor house and about 200 feet beyond the current Stan Hywet boundary. It is surrounded by suburban houses from the 1950s and 1960s.
Also on the nomination list is the Franklin Hotel in downtown Kent.
The building at 176 E. Main St. was completed in 1920 by Kent business leaders who recognized the need for a modern hotel to serve their growing community.
The local board of trade organized the Kent Hotel Co., which provided $150,000 capital from Dudley Mason, owner of Mason Tire and Rubber Co., and 210 Kent citizens.
The hotel is a five-story neoclassical-style building with a two-story lobby finished in marble and ornamental plaster.
It was the only hotel in Kent until 1956.
The hotel has been nominated for its association with the history of Kent in the early 20th century.
The state panel — a governor-appointed board of citizens and history professionals — must approve all nominations to the national register. They must also be approved by the Ohio state historic preservation officer.
They are then submitted to the National Park Service that oversees the national register.
Bob Downing can be reached at 330-996-3745 or firstname.lastname@example.org.